Monday, April 21, 2008

I've Been Tagged

Carol tagged me.  Since I'm still waiting for Tuesday, here goes...
 
The rules:

a. Link to the person who tagged you.
b. Post the rules on your blog.
c. Write six random things about yourself.
d. Tag six random people at the end of your post by linking to their blogs.
e. Let each person know they have been tagged by leaving a comment at their blog.
f. Let your tagger know when your entry is up.
 
Hmmm...I've told a lot already but I'll see if I can come up with anything new and interesting.
 
1.) I've never lived anywhere outside of Kentucky.
 
2.) Despite my best efforts, I cannot speak with a Scottish accent.  (Cockney, yes - thanks to Monty Python.  I can even manage a passable Irish.  But no' Scottish, alas.)
 
3.) I changed majors - from chemistry to physics - halfway through college, and chose not to take the single remaining chemistry class that would have gotten me a chem minor.  (I did minor in mathematics, and was 1-3 classes away from additional minors in history and psychology.)
 
4.) I am a certified Child Passenger Safety Technician as of March 28th, 2008.  (Ask me about car seats - Precie already did!)
 
5.) The first book I ever wanted to write was a Star Trek (Originial Series) novel featuring a Chekov, Uhura, Sulu, and a new Russian lieutenenant named Natasha.  I was in 7th grade.
 
6.) I am related to both Robert E. Lee and Ulysses S Grant.  Also Henry Clay (by marriage) and Mary Todd Lincoln.  I am eligible to join the DAR because my great-great-great-great(?)-grandfather, Benjamin Berry, fought in the Revolutionary War and recieved a share of a 5800 acre land grant to settle in Kentucky.
 

5 comments:

Deniz Bevan said...

What's the DAR? Some sort of land grant perhaps? A 500 acre farm in Kentucky with horses and a nice cabin to write in? :-)

Carol Spradling said...

#6 is so cool. Join the DAR, so I can drool. Do you live on the property your ancestor was granted?

Jenny said...

Deniz - DAR is the Daughters of the American Revolution.

Carol - I thought you'd get a kick out of that. *g* No, I don't live there because a couple generations later there was some kerfluffle with a co-signed loan that defaulted and the property was lost to the family. (Poor money habits seem to be a trait of the male line... *cough*mydad*coughcough*)

BUT the property was called Berryland and it was in what is now Woodford County, which is next door to Lexington, where I do live. I was raised 2 hours from here (closer to Louisville) but this area felt like home to me when I moved here for college.

Lynne Sears Williams said...

Oh, I'm eligible for DAR, too.
Might have kept working on the new improved get-in, so I could get scholarships for kids. McBride ancestors were quite picky about not letting the government know where they lived. Well, if you were a Scot, wouldn't you?

Jenny said...

Lynne - Hehe, probably not!

Hmmm, scholarships. Now there's a good reason to put forth the documentation effort. At least I know my ancestor. I should ask my dad, there might be some family trees already mapped out somewhere.