Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Ten Things About Me as a Writer

Meme the second...

1. Your genre(s)?
 
Scottish time-travel romance, if you want to be specific.  (It really is a subgenre.)  More broadly: Scottish historical romance, time-travel romance, or simply Historical Romance.  I also like "Romantic Historical Fiction" as a descriptor, because it implies I'm actually making the setting, y'know...historical.

2. How many books have you completed?

ONE!!!  (Sorry, still riding that high.)  *g*

3. How many books are you working on now?

I guess two.  Just finished the SFD for One Highland Night and while I'm letting that sit prior to rewrites, I'm starting to think more about the second book, One Highland Wife, for which I actually have a plot brainstorm and several extant scenes written already.

4. Are you a linear or chunk writer?
 
I usually call myself a chunk-linear hybrid, though I like Claire's term "outlining chunker" and may steal it.  *w*  Basically, I'll chunk until I get an overall idea for the plot, then I'll write an outline so I know most of what happens, but I'll continue to write scenes out of order as they come to me, and switch back into linear for the final tying-together.

5. The POV you're most partial to?

Deep Third, a.k.a. Third Limited

6. The theme that keeps cropping up in your books?

Now you're starting to sound like my high school English teacher...  Well, in OHN it's - I think - the sacrifices we're willing to make for the one we love.  And looks like OHW will incorporate that as well.

7. How many days a week do you write?

On average, I'd say five.  I try for seven, and succeed often, but sometimes stuff comes up.  (And sometimes I take months off, despite my best intentions and still mentally working on the story.  *sigh*)

8. What time of day do you get your best writing done?

It was late evening, around 9 pm-midnight.  Lately I've been doing well in the early morning (5 am-8 am or so) as well.

9. Who are your mentors?

Depends on how you define mentor.  If it's someone who has specifically influenced my development as a writer, I'll credit most everyone at the CompuServe Books and Writers Forum.  Especially Jo(anna) Bourne, Beth Shope, and all my friends/future betas reading this blog.  *g* 

10. Who are your favorite authors to read? (different from mentors)

I still have to include Joanna Bourne here ('cause hotd@mn I loved her book and look forward to the next one).  Also Diana Gabaldon, Mary Balogh, Lisa Kleypas, Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, Mercedes Lackey, and many more I'm leaving out but to remember and list all of them would take ages...

No comments: