Saturday, July 07, 2007

Chapter Six Down

I got back to writing tonight after reaching the point of diminishing returns on my updated spreadsheet. There's only so much info you can pack in before it becomes a storyboard in truth, and gets away from the simplicity and straightforwardness of the spreadsheet format. So I'll stick with what I've got for now, and make a real storyboard with post-its and whatnot when I get to the end.

Managed right at 1000 words - not bad considering I was chatting until after 10 pm. Finished up chapter 6, which is my shortest chapter to date at just under 2900, and started in on chapter 7. In so doing I got past the first of a series of hurdles: describing the dress accurately as Elspeth changes into period clothing. The next hurdle will be bigger: it's time to meet the clan, or at least the principal members. Still dithering on who all that will include and to what degrees.

Chapter 7 is sitting at about 800 words at the moment, so I figure another 2000-2200 will round it out and put me at 54K...I'm shooting for that by the end of the weekend. I need to be at 57.5K by the 15th to meet my midmonth goal, which seems eminently doable if I finish 7 as planned.

No comments: