Saturday, February 17, 2007

Work on the ubersynopsis continues

I added another 1000 words tonight, bringing me up through Glencoe and the end of Act II, into Act III. I think that makes about 2/3-3/4 of the way through the book. There are 29 paragraphs, and if you figure an average of one paragraph per chapter, that looks pretty good. I average 2500-3000 words per chapter. Looks like my length/word count is on track. All of this is estimates and back-of-the-envelope calculation, of course.

I'm pleased. Not only with the way everything is laying out wrt length and chapters and word count, but also with the way things are clicking into place in the story. Forcing myself to walk linearly through this ubersynopsis is causing me to fill in gaps. A few bits I knew needed to be in but couldn't figure out where just dropped into the synopsis in a perfect, logical flow. Beautiful.

I'll continue work tomorrow, and I plan to finish it then. This last part of the book is where the majority of my actual scenes are currently written, so it will really just be summarizing what is mostly already known. Still a few small gaps to fill, though. Then more reasearch (a lot of the books I reserved at the library are in) and organization for the next week or so. After that, I may go back and actually start to write a rough draft/SFD linearly, based on the ubersynopsis. Allowing for breaks to write chunk-wise any scene that comes to me fully visualized, of course. We shall see.

For now, to bed.

No comments: