Tuesday, December 05, 2006

I'll show you mine

Mrs. Mitty suggested a "post-a-snippet" day and quite unashamedly showed us hers, so I'm returning the favor and showing mine. *g* I've posted it over on my excerpt blog.

Here's the link: Elspeth snippet

I've just finished the first revision to work out some of the "stage directions" as per the current discussion on Compuserve. It's still pretty rough, though. Jo is helping me (calling me out on it, really) get better about working dialect and idiosyncratic voice into Alec's POV. So that part especially still needs work.

Last night I didn't actually work on any scenes. But I did spend an hour and a half or so nailing down plotting points and identifying known story events with aspects of the plot structure as outlined in the Crusie/Mayer workshop I attended about a month ago. (Wow, that was a long sentence.) I got some good ideas, came up with a few more questions I need to answer, but in general feel a little more organized WRT the overall structure of the story. So I consider that great progress.

And with that, dear reader, I am going to bed. The baby is simultaneously cutting his first teeth (three at once, the doctor said) and fighting his first ear infection. Needless to say, I was up with him most of the night last night, and may be again tonight. The wonder of antibiotics, though - he should be feeling better by tomorrow.

1 comment:

Mrs. Mitty said...

Great scene, Jenny! Thanks for sharing.

(Gotta love that Jo, doncha? :))

Sorry to hear the baby's having the miseries! My son was always getting earaches when he was a baby, so I know how it goes. Try to keep yourself rested, the better to cope with it all.